Sunday, October 16, 2011

Literature as Exploration - Rosenblatt Straight from the Horse's Mouth

Reading:

Rosenblatt, L., (1938) Literature as Exploration: New York MLA
Rosenblatt, L., (1978) The Reader, the Text, the Poem: Carbondale and Edwardsville Southern Illinois University Press
Williams-Garcia, R., (2010) One Crazy Summer: New York HarperCollins


Having read a plethora of excerpts in our readings and online discussions about Louise Rosenblatt. I felt that it was time for me to go straight to the horse's mouth and see what Rosenblatt has to say about Rosenblatt (a pun). I am reading both Literature as Exploration and The Reader, the Text, the Poem and I feel that both texts (another pun) as meaning and poetry and the reader have so much to offer us as students and lifelong learners. Rosenblatt's legacy is respected by followers and critics alike. Quotes like, "the interchange of ideas the student will be led to compare the reactions of both students and the teachers" from Literature as Exploration or the "Poem as Event" is key to having a fundamental stance on reading, learning and education. Going straight to the poet's mouth will allow a more vibrant and dynamic understanding of her writings and legacy. There is a 50-year span between literature as exploration and the transactional theory of the literary work. My hope is that I can go beyond the ideas and excerpts of others and contribute a fraction of what Rosenblatt as hero really means to the world of literature.


Notes: As I introduce One Crazy Summer by Rita Williams-Garcia and incorporate both the in-class reading experience and the audiobook, I realize that I am focusing on the story and stepping to the sideline so that I can can observe my students and punctuating my passion for the reading experience. More importantly as many of my peers in our class with Professor Sung have noted, "I can listen" to my students in more ways than one. Please Get Rosenblatt for yourself and explore a real connection with text and the literature experience
.

1 comment:

  1. Rock on, Darryl! I've been chomping at the bit myself to go straight to the Rosenblatt you have mentioned. With your recommendation, I will. I also applaud your using One Crazy Summer in your classroom. I would love to hear what the students have to say, and the meanings they will develop. I like your comment on listening to the students. This has impressed me especially from our readings. I'm sure it's a balance, but having the confidence in them is a huge part of the work.

    ReplyDelete