Thursday, November 3, 2011

Write Again! Right Again!

Reading: Writing for the Soul by Jerry B. Jenkins

Instruction and Advice from an Extraordinary Writing Life (2006)


As I look at the reading from Sipe and the conference this weekend. I realize that we cannot judge a book by its cover or an analysis by its title. II often want to put thing in nice analytical boxes. However, intertextual, performative and transparent mean much more to me. Reader response means that it is really about the students (reader’s) response and not my experience, it is about making good book choices and thinking through how the reader is responding and not what I want them to interpret.
Maria Nichols refers to it as purposeful talk, “As students’ abilities with purposeful talk grow, it is quite easy to begin taking their competence for granted, forgetting that newly formed behaviors are not yet habits; they require consistent nudging and nurturing to truly take hold.” I am at the place where I really want to raise my expectations and understanding of my student’s responses and gently nudge hem along the pathway and journey of quality reading.
Carrie talks about the Collective Voices Conference, in both her blog and learning log, both she and I walked away from the conference not only wanting to expand our reading but write our memoirs. I am fascinated with children’s books and literature and want to offer a more “transparent” perspective the writing process. In simpler I want the opportunity to become one with text again.  This has been a great week in regards to reading and creative writing. I want to have a voice with students and learners outside of classroom. I want to write again. That alone makes the conference and this class worth the price of admission. 


I know that right now it is right again to write again. This time I want to write from my soul.

1 comment:

  1. I'm always glad when I see ways in which we can all be recharged. Writing that blooms from other books, especially picture books, is a great source. I know there's also an excellent book about teaching writing in the classroom based on children's picture books. You might enjoy it. Thanks for the flag waving to good directions.

    ReplyDelete