Sunday, November 13, 2011

Shades of Meaning by Santman

Reading:

Santman, D., (1938) Shades of Meaning:Comprehension and Interpretation in Middle School: Portsmouth: Heinemann


I have been reading Shades of Meaning by Santman and really reflecting on my own reading and the reading that is going on in my sixth grade classroom. I have also stacked up the books and articles from our LLSS 528 class and realized that I have changed. As I prepare to do my research on illustrations and text in children's literature, I know that I have changed. My sixth grade ladies are reading Romeo and Juliet with passion and enthusiasm...Yes Shakespeare! My boys are listening to A Lesson Before Dying by Ernest Gaines and reading finishing The Count of Monte Cristo. I struggle with Twain and Orwell as our next adventure and accept that I have changed in these past few months. 


Santman talks about patterns of misreading in chapter three, as I think deeply about reading being an end instead of a beginning. I know that I have to get back to my personal reading. I know I need to enjoy reading and writing again and break the patterns. I find myself reflecting more. Reflecting on every aspect of the reading process. From reading to assessment. From listening to discussion. I want to enjoy Romeo and Juliet with my students so that we all have an interaction with the text and the story.


Note: I know hat this is not the formal blogging process but I also know that something is going on with me and the reading process. I also know that I really want to understand what it is and not let these opportunities pass me by.

No comments:

Post a Comment